|
|
Back
Ben Haughton
|
Banford Family Chart
|
Banford House
|
Banford Bleachworks
|
Ballitore Quaker Village
|
The Linen Trade

Banford House
   

This image is to be found at the top of the Banford Family Chart.

The white lines in front of the house are the bleached strips of linen, laid out to dry on the grass.

Banford House was built c.1780. Thomas Nicholson was the first owner. He was born into a County Armagh Quaker family and his father, John (b.1691) owned the bleach green at Banford. After John died, Thomas took over the business and built Banford House.

In 1815, Thomas Nicholson sold both business and house to Benjamin Haughton, then aged thirty-four. In 1836, Benjamin acquired the tenancy of the bleach mill, flour mill and three other mills in Tullylish.

Image at top of Banford Family Chart
   


Thomas Haughton, who lived in the neighbouring property, Mount Pleasant, (from 1853 - 1860), took over Banford House when his father died, somewhere between 1862-1864. It remained in the family until Thomas Haughton's death in 1888 when it was taken over by the Sinton family.

 

This painting of Banford House was done by Caroline Haughton - we do not have a date but it is after 1880 when the first of the two conservatories was added.

 

Painting by Caroline Haughton

The house has recently been renovated and is now fully restored, re-instating its place in the history of the Linen Industry along the River Bann.

 

We would like to thank the owners for their hospitality and kindness in letting us visit.

 

Banford House today, now fully restored.
 
A reminder of the bleach green in front of the house. To the left of this picture is the village cricket green.
 
The Bleach Green today

Gateway to east side of the house